Hanging With The Chief

Owen has had a lot of nicknames in his short life...it all started when Greyson couldn't pronounce his name and called him Onion.  Chief has stuck around for a while and well, it's better than vegetables....  But even with a strong nickname, he'd been feeling a little under fire and beaten down the past few months.  It sort of came to a head during our Memorial weekend getaway to the cabin.  So I sat him down for a talk.  Okay, I say by the fire with my coffee and he walked round and round the fire pit chatting with me.

We talked about fear and confidence.  We talked about not letting others get us down and we talked about needing to do things to show yourself you can sometimes.  He said that the biggest fear that he could pinpoint was his fear of heights.  My logical solution?  The Zip Lines.

We had an hour wait before they were able to fit us into the rotation so we took a side trip to the local fresh water spring to fill up our water containers.  With a new well at the cabin it's not always the best drinking water.  This stuff is so cold and so clear.  Love it!






Then it was time to get down to business.  According to Owen, scary business.  We were in a group with four other people who were together.  They couldn't have been sweeter to my boy.




When I look back at these I can see and feel how nervous he was.  But he pushed through.  He wanted so badly to be able to say that he did it.


 
 


Getting fastened for his first trek.

 




At each stop he would hold my rope even though we were fastened in two places.  Sweetest thing.



We came out alive and smiling!




We ended the day collecting trash on our short unmarked road.  I had been running with Henry in the mornings and was sickened by how much trash I saw out there.






I let him take me for a spin in the woods before we parked the UTV for the evening.  As we get going he leans over and tells me that he's never driven the thing.  Greeeaatttt!!!!!


 

Here's to facing your fears Chief!



Comments

  1. You are one heck of a great Mom!! Not sure I could do that one, maybe you should have taken me with you!? Great story and beautiful pictures and I hear you about the garbage! My ditch gets trashed regularly!=(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post to pieces. Love BOTH of your bravery! These pictures are great. I am proud of you both. You are such a good example to both of your boys. I also love that you guys pick up trash. Boyd and I do it often in our neighborhood. I have been known to be very vocal when I see someone littering. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment