Connections

It's been a few years, but this spring we were finally able to revisit a place that gives me all the feels.  A place where time seems to slow down and its easy to enjoy nature and connect with those you're with.  To make the trip even more special, I was able to share it with my sons, and we'd be backpack camping - something I've wanted to share with them for ages.  No water, no electricity....no cell phone chargers!!!  



Several years ago Mr. Weber and I volunteered to spend a week at Rock Island State Park caring for the boathouse.  

Since that time I've wanted to go back and I've wanted to share the experience with the boys.  From the ferry rides, to the beaches, the trails, the rocks, the boat house, the stars at night, I wanted to share it all.  

It had been a while since I'd tried something like this with my boys so I was a little worried about how they'd do.  I had absolutely no need to worry though, they reset just like I needed to and enjoyed all of the simple things the island has to offer.  


Our first ferry ride to Washington Island was pretty uneventful, but a first time experience for the boys none the less.


We then had a quick drive across Washington Island and unloaded all of our gear from the car to board the tiny Karfi Ferry for the final trek to Rock Island.  THAT was an eventful trip.  It was like an amusement park ride because the waves were so high.  We alternated between laughing and holding on for dear life the entire trip!


After we were settled we roasted hot dogs over the fire for a quick meal after a long day.


From there we spent hours stacking rocks around the fire, skipping stones, hiking, searching for firewood and playing horseshoes.  Unfortunately it was too windy for any fishing and much too cold for swimming.






We hung out on the beach until sunset...skipping stones and finding treasures to bring home with us.  






Once we came up from the beach, this was my view from the camp site.  My boys.  Looking for rocks to stack on the fire ring.  Getting along.  This is what I was seeking from this trip, this very view...connection.  It's something to hold on to when life is chaotic, when struggles are real.  The memory of this view allows me to pause, take a deep breath and regain balance.  Everything is alright.


The next day we were off to explore a little more, looking for the cemetery and dunes.  
We also tried to find some carvings on the side of the cliffs, but the water was way too cold to walk in so there was some rock jumping being attempted...successfully by Mr. Weber.  



This trip has been one of the highlights of 2018 so far.  During the "Summer of Fortnite" it was truly a blessing to unplug and connect.

Until we meet again Rock Island....you're a beautiful memory. 





Comments

  1. What a fantastic experience. Love the pics and writings, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment