A Weekend Adventure On The Peshtigo River

Well it took nearly the entire summer but I finally managed to get out of town with the boys and go camping.  There were a few changes to my original camping plan deep in the woods off the beaten path, but it was an excellent way to get our feet wet and figure this whole thing out.  Probably a much more realistic trip as well.  :-)  I opted to take them to a campground and rafting place that I spent a lot of time at as a child.  It was really nice to be back there after so many years, seeing familiar faces who were genuinely happy to see us and welcomed us with hugs and hospitality, it was like being with family and we can't wait to go back!

My aunt and uncle were gracious enough to let us borrow their pop-up camper for the weekend, which was an extra nice amenity when the rain came on Saturday afternoon.  My dad went with the boys on Friday afternoon and got the campsite set up while I worked for the day.  Another nice treat!

I insisted on making s'mores before bed on Friday night.  I'd been looking forward to a campfire all day.




We made a fire on Saturday morning and boiled some water for coffee.  I planned relatively no maintenance meals not knowing what we'd have available in the camper and had no idea my dad was bringing his tripod up.  So....no pancakes or bacon over the fire....just water.  Oh well!

I have no words for this child sometimes.  He evades my camera 90% of the time so I take what I can get.  And yes, we're allllll aware he needs a haircut.  All of us but Owen, that is.






Ya think they want a bite?




We went down by the river bank while my dad went back to his cabin for some fire wood and to mow the lawn.  The plan was to go tubing down the river later in the afternoon so we figured we'd check out the water temps.



I think that means it's cold!!!!




Snacks and games before tubing.



So, when you mess up at a game and then get angry at yourself and throw your score sheet into the fire sometimes you get lucky and can fish it out when you've calmed down.  Then you're even luckier when your mom and brother let you make up your missed turns because you've wholeheartedly apologized.  Notice the lovely charred and crumpled score sheet in the picture below.  Enough said.



No pictures of the tubing adventures for obvious reasons.  Cameras and rivers don't mix.  We did get poured on about 5 minutes into the river trip.  Greyson and my dad toughed it out.  Owen flipped and I pulled him to shore so that we could walk back to the campsite.  Greyson convinced me to take another trip down the river with him around 5 that evening and I'm so happy I did, we had a blast.  He's excited to go back in the spring for a rafting trip when the water is high from the spring run off.

They loved all the old shoes hanging by the raft barn for the people who come ill prepared.



Greyson had something going with the camp dogs.




I take back what I said before....Owen does in fact know he needs a haircut.  :-)

 


Greyson learned how to make foil dinners at Scout camp earlier this summer and was dying to make dinner for us when we camped.  He did a great job cutting veggies and making sure everyone had their packets marked and sealed.  



This picture makes me laugh every time I see it.



I had to laugh at their vast difference in driving styles.




The glow football Greyson came up with was a lot of fun.  It lead to glow hula hoops and a glow dog as well.



Things ended up getting pretty chilly on Saturday night so by Sunday morning the boys and Minnie and I were all snuggled up in one bed under three blankets.  It was cozy until they decided to tickle me....and then Owen fell out of the tent part of the camper.  Then it was eye watering, pee your pants laughter.  And that's the memory I want to end the trip with.  :-)


Comments

  1. That last picture says it all...lots of love in your sweet family! I love that you take the boys camping. That is really nice that you got to borrow the pop up camper. One day we will all camp together! Oh how I'd love that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment