The 2014 Holidays are Officially in the Books!

This one has been hard to write about.  I'm an overly emotional sap about the holidays, starting with Thanksgiving and rolling right through New Years.  I pity those close to me, really I do.  There's always so much I want to do, share, experience, and this year, being a year of newness, of huge change, I tried so hard to just slow down, to be alright with "different."  I had to let go of traditions and expectations.  I had to try to not impose my way on every single person I came across.  I had to take a step back and not force events or activities when it became apparent they just weren't in the cards this year.  And I had to really and truly let them go, consciously not hold onto regret or disappointment.  I had to be content with what I WAS able to share with those I love, instead of the grand plans that didn't come to fruition.  I had to see this as a year of beginnings that only had room to improve upon and open my eyes to the beauty of the opportunity to create new traditions.

All of these new things in our lives haven't been easy.  Which makes it so hard to write sometimes, to sit down and share our lives when I'm completely emotionally spent, or dealing with other huge struggles that I can only share with those close to me.  I started this blog as a way to journal life for my boys so that they would have something when I'm gone....I wanted them to hear my voice.  But, like with any memory book, I didn't want to share the ugly or tough stuff - who puts that in?  But, hey, they're going through this too.  They get it, probably more so than I do at times, so I may as well let 'em know they're not alone, keep things real here.

With that being said, all of the change hasn't been hard either.  We've had some fun!  We've grown, and we're definitely still growing.  We're forming new and closer bonds.  We're getting stronger and working through kinks.  We're evolving!  And we're testing my patience!  ;-)


Although I do have to remember that times like this happen when it feels like things are completely out of control.



Back to Christmas.  The boys came home late in the evening of the 24th, with just the right amount of time to open their new pajamas (one tradition kept) and then hop into bed for the night.  My parents were set to come over on Christmas morning to see the boys open their gifts, however a little miscommunication had our day started earlier than anticipated!  I had told my dad that I thought the boys would be up between 7 and 8 and I would call him.  At 7:14 the doorbell rang....we were all still in bed....and there stood my parents roaring and ready to go with gifts in hand!  Merry Christmas!  :-)


Minnie's gift from Nana and Umpa....a bone the size of her tiny little head!

 


Greyson has always been big on shopping for gifts for everyone in the family.  He takes it very seriously and stresses until he has a gift for everyone on his list.  He even likes to wrap and get them under the tree.  His gift for Owen this year....a Star Wars sign for his bedroom.  :-)




Nana and Umpa came through with super soft fleece for the boys to make cozy tie blankets.  Sports for Owen and Packers/Badgers for Greyson.




Umpa opening his new money clip from Nana.



Owen's yo-yo was definitely a highlight gift for him.




Greyson was tickled about the watch I had to sneak to the cashier because he was shopping with me.  He'd picked out two gifts for other people from this store and was bummed when I told him I wasn't going to buy him something just for being there.  Completely surprised on Christmas morning.  :-)


 





The one toy that didn't work.  There's always one.....  :-(



Once we had all the boys together we dove in for round two!  RC trucks for all!






Santa left one gift for all the boys by the fireplace.  They each took a corner and pulled....  



And then got excited about ONE mini basketball.  Clearly Santa doesn't need to aim so high next year.  We had to hint that it seemed like they were missing something....which sent them off looking for throughout the house.


Much better!




Our whirlwind of a day continued from there.  We ran to a friend's house to borrow her vehicle....with a real third row, so that we could pile the crew in and head to see family in Minnesota for the rest of the holiday.


Co-pilot selfie.



The REAL co-pilot!



The crew minus one rascal who managed to get out of the picture.



A stunning sunset that kept changing as we drove.



One of many rounds of Guesstures we played over the next few days.  No, my child doesn't like to wear shirts, and yes, he's still playing with his yo-yo.  He's also got a little bit of a bro crush on that guy in the recliner because he can yo-yo like its no one's business.  :-)



And finally, little P.S.A. for you....When your sister calls and asks if you need anything from the store she's stopping at and your girlfriend says yes, she needs some birthday candles, don't laugh it off as if she's being silly or THIS is what you'll get in your birthday pie.

Comments

  1. Awww, I know all the change has been hard, but you're doing great! And you're a wonderful mom. Never forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update on you and the family, you are so honest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment